Brad and I have discussed numerous times that the Cubs should retire Mordecai Brown's
number name at Wrigley Field.
(Side note: I have mentioned to Brad to coerce other bloggers and picket Wrigley Field this year with "Retire Mordecai" banners, tshirts, flair. There's strength in numbers, people. Strength. In. Numbers.)
But there is another Chicago sports hero who hasn't had his number retired - Dennis Rodman.
Dennis has been nominated for the HOF. I won't argue if Dennis should/should not be in the Hall of Fame (personally, I think he should be but I digress). What irks me is that the Bulls haven't retired his number. Every time I go to the UC, I look up at the rafters; I see banners for Jordan, Pippen, Sloan, Love, Phil Jackson and...Jerry Krause? Seriously? How does this man have a banner hanging and NOT Rodman?
Rodman's accomplishments with the Bulls
- Led the league in rebounding all three years ('96-'98)
- Led the league in rebounding rate all three years ('96-'98)
- All-NBA Defensive First-Team ('96)
- Helped the Bulls win three NBA championships
Can you imagine this party if the Bulls do retire his number? MJ and Scottie (if they even show up) will be extremely uncomfortable, Rodman will swear, he'll thank the fans while having a fifth of Jack in his hand, he'll walk onto the court with several scantily clad women, he'll be wearing something ridiculous (or nothing at all).
Come to think of it, maybe that's what the Bulls are afraid of.
Rodman's Career Accomplishments
- Best rebounding rate in NBA history
- Owns the top seven rebounding rates in league history
- Tied for most offensive rebounds (11) in a game (accomplished this twice)
- Oldest player to lead the league in rebounding (’98) in NBA history
- 2 All-Star appearances (’90, ’92)
- On 2 of the top 10 teams in NBA history
- 2 Defensive Player of the Year Awards
- 7 time All-Defensive First Team
- Won 7 consecutive rebounding titles (‘91-’97), NBA record
- 5 time NBA Champion (2 with Pistons, 3 with Bulls)
Dennis Rodman's rebound rate
Dennis Rodman's rebounding rate per season (pwned)
I miss Dennis Rodman | Yahoo Sports Kelly Dwyer
Image courtesy of Steve Lipofsky, Basketballphoto.com.